DEVELOPING LISTENING SKILLS / B' class 1st Experimental lyceum Athens / Teacher: Emily Kalfa-Koutouzi
1st Experimental General Lyceum of Athens
Wednesday, 19 January 2011
Second Year Class, English Session
Demonstration lesson in B2 class of 21 students
Course book: Complete First Certificate - Unit 15 (pages 134-137)
Teacher: Emily Kalfa Koutouzi
LESSON: Listening to a dialogue ; Reading extract;
followed by vocabulary and grammar exercises.
· Identifying and discussing briefly celebrations and festivals.
(Vocabulary and Listening skills activated)
· Prompting partners to suggest ideas about specific celebrations.
(speaking – discussion skills motivated)
· Using passive either talking or rewriting and completing sentences.
PROCEDURE: group work mostly; individual at times
INTERACTION : collaborative work
Books closed - word FIESTA on board.
Visual aid through photos – time for a “brainstorming”.
Questions to groups:
1. What events are typical for public festivals and celebrations in our country?
2. What are the main features of festivals?
3. When are the most important festivals?
Students fill part I in a worksheet. (time: 10 minutes apr.)
UNIT 15 (page 134) FIESTA!
· Students open books - do exercises: 1, 2, 3.
· Short discussion about home festivals (more photos )
· Exercise 4.
Students fill in part II of worksheet.
LISTENING (page 135)
· Pre –listening stage: exercise 1
· Listening; exercises 3 and 4.
GRAMMAR –The Passive
Exercises: 1 (page 135), 3 (page 136).
Short extract reading “Sham el Nassim”; exercises 4,5 and 6 (page 136)
Exercises 7 and 8 (page 137) to be prepared for the next time.
Last five minutes students work out in groups the prompt in Activity sheet.
They present it in class and hold briefly a discussion about it.
(if there is no time left, this can be put as a homework )